Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tough Stuff

Difficult circumstances.  Awkward situations.  Hard feelings.
Depending on your own story of how you began parenting your GramChild, you probably can relate.  Our particular story was difficult in the extreme.  It's hard to watch your child hurt themselves and others.  I've struggle with feelings of disappointment and anger at my child.  In the end, the baby came to us in January of 2012.  She was not quite 1 year old yet. 

We had quite an adjustment period.  We had to find daycare, because I was working at the time.  I struggled with so many emotions.  My heart was filled with love, because she is my grandchild; guilt for leaving her with strangers; resentment for being put in that situation.  Each morning was torturous, as she cried for me not to leave. 

My daughter was struggling, as well.  The stigma of losing her child; the resentment of watching someone else raise her baby and plenty of heartbreak.  She was living with us, and she suddenly had to find a place to live, because the Child Protective Services would not allow her to live with her child, any longer.  And there was a struggle for control, for her to release her child, for me to take over...it was so awkward and difficult. 

We've come a long way, but we aren't completely through it.  One major piece of success is that we are both very willing to do whatever it takes to make this work.  That's not always the case in every story.  Sometimes the parent isn't so willing or continues in their mistakes or just gives up.  I'm happy to say that my daughter has turned her life around and has not given up.  She's an amazing mother, and someday hopes to have Sophia again.  Until then it's a partnership.  I know we are very blessed at this point. 

So what's your story?  Please share with me in the comments below.